The hairdressing school is one of the popular small business destinations, and thanks to the barbershop trend and the growing demand for male professionals, it has received a new round of development.
The profession of a hairdresser has been and remains one of the most popular and sought after in the field of beauty. Thanks to the barbeshop trend, today not only women, but also men are striving to master it. Naturally, those who want to become a hairdresser or barber always have the question of where to learn hairdressing – and you can answer it by launching your courses or opening a full-fledged hairdressing school. Below we will consider how this can be done and what subtleties this type of business has.
School of hairdressers: pros and cons
Like any business, the hairdressing school has its pros and cons associated with various aspects of the activity.
- Low investment . As a rule, course organizers already have the premises and most types of equipment, so often they only need to buy additional consumables or invest in advertising.
- Growth in demand. The hairdressing market is transforming, there are more and more barbershops that require male specialists. So this is a great time to create your own barber school.
- The abundance of available formats . Even if there are already quite a lot of schools and courses in the beauty industry on the market of your city, there is always an opportunity to offer something unique that others do not have, for example, by placing more emphasis on the psychology of communication with clients, or by inviting famous stylists to master classes , organizing courses according to the system of challenges or battles and further down the list of your imagination.
- Easy income planning. Knowing how many students and at what price are enrolled and will attend your courses for a certain time, you can easily predict your income – this type of business compares favorably with the same hairdressing salon.
Cons and difficulties:
- The need for a program . To organize a school, it is not enough just to be an excellent specialist; you need a clearly structured and scheduled program of lesson classes with a well-thought-out balance of theory and practice.
- Restrictions on the number of participants. It is believed that the optimal number of students in one group is 5-8 people. Since it is more difficult to work with a large number, there will not be enough time for everyone. In this regard, there will always be some purely physical limit per teacher in terms of the number of students and classes per month. And in order to earn more, you will have to change other parameters of the business – either the duration of the courses, or the price, or sacrifice an individual approach in favor of more students.
- Design difficulties . Hairdressing schools can operate with or without a license. In the second option, students will not be able to obtain any government document, and in order to work with a license, you need to fulfill many requirements of the law. And after registration, inspectors may show increased interest in your organization.
Concept and training program
The face of your courses is determined by many factors. First of all, this is the target audience for which you work, the content of the curriculum, the cost of training and the personality of the teachers. Next, we will consider these and other parameters that will help you decide on the concept of the school.
Target audience and its motives . In a broad sense, the portrait of a student does not begin with gender or age, but with a desire to master the profession of a hairdresser from scratch or gain additional skills to those already available. If earlier the backbone of clients were women aged approximately 18 to 45 years old, now men who want to work in barbershops have been added to them – usually from 18 to 30 years old. As a rule, the wealth of both does not exceed the average, since those who earn a lot usually do not strive to acquire new knowledge. An exception may be experienced craftsmen who already earn above average and want to move even further up the career ladder.
As for the main motives, it is usually the acquisition of practical skills. After all, the theory today can be easily found in the public domain in text and video formats. Often, seemingly qualified specialists who have received education and the 4th category (there are three of them – 3.4 and the highest 5) come to hairdressing schools, but at the same time they practically do not know how to practice because of the deplorable quality of our education. Accordingly, the key task is to equip students not only with theoretical knowledge, but also with tools for work and provide a field for experimentation.
Cost of education. Considering the income level of clients, when forming a pricing policy, the most rational option is to stick to the budget or mid-price segment, unless, of course, we are talking about creating some highly specialized courses that have no alternatives in your region. It is also not worth dumping excessively – a low price, as a rule, is an indicator of poor-quality education or an indicator that the school does not provide students with their tools and consumables. At the time of this writing, the budget option for regional million-plus cities was approximately 10,000 rubles per month of training.
Training program. You can focus only on hairdressing, or organize a beauty school in other areas. These can be classes in manicure and pedicure, coloring and complex coloring, mastering the profession of a wedding stylist, classes in keratin straightening, braiding and much more.
The more destinations you capture, the more it becomes necessary to divide courses into levels and packages. On the one hand, this is a much larger reach of potential customers and an increase in profits, on the other hand, a more labor-intensive and multi-tasking business. At the same time, if you, for example, work in a small town, there may not be another multidisciplinary institution in it at all. And this is already a significant advantage that can be well presented and advertised.
Who is leading. Business in the service industry is based on individuals. People often go to hairdressing schools to become masters. Therefore, a serious advantage for the school will be the professionalism and fame of teachers. In this case, the client has a double motivation, because he is already going not only to learn how to cut people’s hair, but also to learn how to do it better than others.
Group size . Even if you have a spacious room at your disposal, a large number of students for a hairdressing school is not an option. The optimal group size is 5-8 people. With this amount, there is time for each student, which means that the quality of education will be higher. Naturally, there can be several groups themselves – daytime, evening, weekend groups, and so on.
Course duration. Many hairdressing schools prioritize the duration of their courses, for example, promising to teach everything in just a month, and even at the lowest price. But most often in such a short period of time, students do not have time to master the practice and the quality of training often leaves much to be desired. And the key parameter is usually not days, classes or months, but study hours. Usually hairdressing courses last from 3 to 6 months. During this time, a person has time to form stable professional skills, and self-confidence appears.
Organization of practice. As already mentioned, a good school in its curriculum focuses not on theory, but on practice. But the practice itself can also be organized in different ways. Many schools, trying to save money, provide students with only so-called blanks or mannequin heads to work with. However, this is not enough, since the work of a hairdresser is a contact with living people – with all their shortcomings and whims. The hairdresser partly acts as a psychologist – he must be able to listen to the client, understand what exactly he wants, perhaps give him an idea. Therefore, so that students do not develop fear of people, the school is looking for models for quality education.
Models can be searched both through acquaintances, and by placing ads on Avito, Yulia, in thematic groups in social networks like “Looking for a model”. And when you already have several experienced participants, it would be advisable not to lose their contacts, but to create, for example, a general chat for models in WhatsApp or any other messenger. Usually the model pays nothing for a haircut, or pays symbolic money for consumables, for example, for the spent paint. Also, models can be brought through the students themselves, or you can go to get a haircut in universities. A variant of an agreement on conducting practice with beauty salons is also possible.
Location and premises
Location. Ideally, be located in the center of the city, so that it would be approximately the same for all students, or at least in the center of a large area of the city. On the first line of houses in this type of business is optional.
Room requirements. The premises where the courses will be held have the same requirements as for beauty salons. Actually, schools are usually organized on the basis of salons. Please note that from January 1, 2021, SanPins 184.108.40.20631-10 “Sanitary and epidemiological requirements for the location, arrangement, equipment, maintenance and operation of public utility organizations providing hairdressing and cosmetic services” ceased to apply. Instead, new ones were approved – The new requirements apply to both legal entities and individuals, including the self-employed, that is, private craftsmen. Here are some requirements:
- Building type and floor . You can be located in any type of buildings, including residential buildings, on any floors. However, at the request of the housing code, such objects cannot be located above apartments in apartment buildings.
- Zoning . Rooms for different services should be located in different rooms, and several procedures cannot be performed at the same workplace at the same time.
- Ventilation . There must be mechanical and natural ventilation. Mechanical ventilation is not needed only in salons with no more than 3 workplaces, located on non-residential floors of residential buildings.
- Finishing . Floors and walls must be moisture resistant, free from defects, damage, traces of leaks and fungus. Moisture-resistant ceilings are installed in rooms with high humidity.
- Water supply and laundry. Water used for household and domestic purposes must comply with hygienic standards. Washing of used linen and work clothes is carried out centrally and separately, and in the hairdresser’s – in the presence of a separate equipped room. Client laundry, such as towels, spa bathrobes, or masters’ overalls, is washed in separate bins, sacks, or sacks and is returned the same way. Clean linen is used to serve visitors.
Educators . If you intend to launch a school, and not just your own authored courses, then you will need to find at least one more partner or several teachers with high knowledge of the matter. Usually, such a business begins with the presence in your environment (or at your disposal) of such specialists. But you can try to go the other way, trying to cooperate with other, previously unfamiliar, but experienced masters in the beauty industry, for example, of a related profile.
Remember that the qualities of any good teacher and master are the ability to simply and figuratively convey everything complex, as well as the ability to create in your school such a friendly atmosphere in which students would not be afraid to ask stupid questions and make mistakes. No one wants to be “pinned down” by your powerful authority and once again address a dubious question to an arrogant and snapping person. Students should be treated politely, sympathetically and not be stingy once again, on occasion, to treat someone with tea or candy.
Labor relations with teachers. With teachers, either a classic employment contract is concluded as with a full-time employee, or a civil law contract. In the first case, taxes and insurance premiums will need to be deducted from the teacher, accruing salaries even during periods of downtime, in the second, short-term provision of services, that is, courses, is implied. Since when concluding a civil law contract with an ordinary individual (not an individual entrepreneur), the employer is obliged to make deductions, it is more profitable for the school for the teacher to be an individual entrepreneur and make deductions for himself. In order not to conclude a civil law contract every time before each lesson, you can sign an act for a month.
Administrator . Depending on the number of groups and the intensity of classes, you may need a separate specialist who deals with administrative and organizational tasks, enrolls students in classes and conducts an initial interview with them, maintains social networks, and so on.
Other employees . All other tasks that are not related to making a profit should be outsourced. These are accounting, consultations with a lawyer, cleaning, security. The last question often comes down to installing a security alarm through an agreement with a private security organization.
Equipment and inventory
Since school formats can be different, the list of necessary equipment varies accordingly.
Hairdressing places . Usually it all starts with them. According to SanPin, places for hairdressers are equipped with chairs and dressing tables with sinks for washing hair. But in the presence of a separate room or in hairdressing salons that specialize in dry haircuts without washing the hair, dressing tables are installed without sinks. Also, you can not do without mirrors and racks for storing tools.
Hairdressing tools. Many schools require students to bring their own tools. However, it is still desirable to purchase tools for the school. This includes scissors, cars, hair dryers, peignoirs, curling irons, combs and more. In negative reviews, former school students often note that situations when they have to beg from the salon workers for every towel sometimes greatly oppress them and discourage their desire to study in such “redneck” schools.
Expendable materials. Consumables include paints, mousses, foams, varnishes, etc., which can be provided in the proper amount to each student. For convenience and to prevent conflicts with salon employees, if courses are organized on its basis, you can create a separate locker for storing consumables for students. Don’t forget about the mannequins on which skills are practiced – you will need to find a place where you can buy them cheaper.
The cost of site equipment. In general, 50 thousand rubles will be enough to equip one hairdresser’s place from scratch with furniture, and 400 thousand rubles to organize 8 places. If there is an existing salon, the entrepreneur usually already has most of what is necessary, so this item of expenditure often disappears. However, it must be remembered that the desire to save money should not affect the quality of education itself.
Other cabinets . Manicure and pedicure are closely related to hairdressing, so very often manicure and pedicure courses become the second area of study. Accordingly, this direction also requires additional purchases of missing equipment: manicure tables, manicure devices and manicure racks, ultraviolet lamps, baths and other things. Here, investments per place also depend on the level of equipment, but are approximately the same.
Registration of a hairdressing school
From a legal point of view, all organizations involved in conducting courses, lessons and master classes in hairdressing either have a license or work without it. Both options are not against the law if you are attentive to the requirements.
Also, the work of an organization without a license may not mean at all that, in fact, the training will be of poor quality. Often, when applying for a job, the employer looks only at the experience and quality of work – without reference to the nature of the training. And given that obtaining a permit for educational activities is a rather complicated and investment-intensive process, schools often refuse licenses and decide to teach without one.
|PARAMETER||ORGANIZATION WITHOUT A LICENSE||ORGANIZATION WITH A LICENSE|
|Hiring||Does not have the right to accept other teachers on the staff. Civil law contracts are drawn up||You can hire teachers, formalize labor relations under the Labor Code of the Russian Federation|
|Name||It is recommended to avoid “educational” words in titles with the words “school”, “institute”, “university”, “college”, “academy” and others, as this may cause additional interest of supervisory authorities.||“Educational” names of institutions with the words “school”, “institute”, “university”, “college”, “academy” and others are common|
|Type of service||Household, consulting and other services||Educational services. According to the law, this is the transfer by the teacher and the assimilation of knowledge by the student, which implies a final certification or exam.|
|Training program||Classes are taught according to the program chosen or developed by the authors of the course, while the approval of the Department of Education is not required.||Classes are held according to a program that has been tested and approved by the Department of Education|
|Advertising||The activity cannot be positioned as educational, you should not mention exams and certification in advertising, use the wording “got a profession”, “qualified”, etc.||You can position your services as educational, using the appropriate terminology|
|Final knowledge test||By law, they cannot be held, so excessive use of the words “exam” and “certification” should be avoided||Compulsory examination or certification in the prescribed form|
|Final document||A symbolic document confirming that the student has completed the course according to the program of this school. Coordination for issuance with anyone is not required. May add to and enrich a student’s portfolio, but has no legal effect.||Diploma, certificate or certificate of the established state standard, confirming the acquisition of knowledge, mastery of the profession, qualification – for example, 3rd category for beginner hairdressers, 4th category for leveling up.|
To obtain a license, you need to contact Rosobrnadzor. The term for consideration of the application is 30-40 days. The norms according to which activities are licensed are prescribed in Law N 273-FZ. For licensing you will need:
- premises owned or rented;
- educational programs developed by the organization independently and submitted in a package with other documents;
- teachers with specialized skills prescribed in the relevant GOSTs (for hairdressers – GOST R 51142-98)
- the conclusion of the SEZ from Rospotrebnadzor;
- conclusion of the Ministry of Emergency Situations on the compliance of the building and premises with fire safety;
- documents with an application for a license and a receipt for payment of state duty.
To speed up the process of registration and collection of papers, you can apply for paid assistance to a specialized company that helps with obtaining licenses.
Documents for students
There are some legal subtleties when working with students that you should be aware of.
agreements with students. A contract for the provision of services is concluded with the students of the courses or the school. They contain the passport data of the student and the data of the organization itself, including the TIN and PSRNIP, the timing of the classes and the amount for the services. Also in the contract it is necessary to prescribe the circumstances of the full or partial return of funds and the deadlines for filing claims. Together with the delivery of the certificate, an act of completed work is signed, which is included in the annex to the contract. This act can protect against complaints from the client and certifies that the consumer has no complaints about the quality of the service.
Termination of an agreement. Particular attention in the contract should be given to the procedure for its termination. This is due to the fact that customer expectations do not always correspond to reality. Many clients in the process of training lose most of their illusions about the profession and therefore want to stop training ahead of schedule.
Medical books . A vulnerable moment in most schools and courses is the lack of medical books for students. On the one hand, few people want to force students to run around medical centers. But if, for example, an infection occurs during a manicure course, the organizer will remain the last one.
Promotion of hairdressing courses
There is no single correct and proven strategy for promoting hairdressing courses. There are specific channels for attracting an audience and methods that an entrepreneur must choose individually or in combination, depending on the situation, budget and own instinct.
- Website . Today is a must. Its development will not cost a lot of money and will not take much time due to the abundance of affordable and budget designers. For a hairdressing school, a one-page page with information about the school, teachers, curriculum, available directions and tuition fees will be quite enough. The page should be remembered and encourage a person to leave an application. Therefore, it is important to present the main advantages of the school in an accessible and vivid way, clearly indicate what benefits and knowledge a person will receive as a result, and offer a free trial lesson. Also, over time, it is worth posting reviews of previous customers on the site – preferably recorded on video.
- SEO promotion and contextual advertising. It is not enough to create a website, you also need to promote it and make it so that a person gets to it. To do this, you need to increase positions in search results, attract customers using services like Yandex.Direct and Google AdWords.
- Social media. A huge proportion of the audience for such courses lives in social networks – you just need to isolate it. Therefore, it is worth launching targeted advertising on social networks. You can also use post promotion methods, advertising or barter in thematic groups, with popular bloggers, etc.
- Advertising on thematic sites . You can order advertising on thematic sites in the field of the beauty industry, talk about your courses on popular professional forums.
- Use of TA source centers . You should think about which establishments can put you customers and advertise there or offer cooperation. These can be universities, where many students are looking for work, career guidance events for young people, or beauty salons, whose employees may be interested in professional development. Sometimes hairdressing schools also act as partners for employment centers, cooperate with business support centers and the like.
- Distribution advertising . You can try handing out flyers and leaflets near places where your target audience is concentrated.
- Contacts with former clients. Sometimes even one grateful person can do many times more for the company than dozens of expensive promotional events. If there are particularly satisfied people among your students with whom you have developed a very warm and trusting relationship, you can offer them cooperation and a percentage for each client you bring.
- Participation in professional events. In large cities, industry exhibitions and fairs in the beauty industry are often held. At such events, you can declare yourself, and recruit new students, and acquire partners. In addition, such events can be used as a testing ground for the skills of your students.
- Mutual PR . If in your city there are related schools and courses that work in the field of beauty, but do not compete with you (for example, you only conduct hairdressing courses, and they only conduct pedicure courses), you can agree on mutual piracy and bring clients to each other.
One of the best types of advertising for a hairdressing school is word of mouth. Therefore, the main thing is to focus on the quality of teaching, which gives real results. A huge plus will be the opportunity to offer school graduates employment in beauty salons with which you have already established partnerships. After all, often salons are asked to select the most intelligent students for their staff. Do not forget about the little things. For example, for some classes full of practice, be sure to call a professional photographer and cameraman – high-quality photos and videos will work for you for a long time.
School financial calculations
Attachments . It is rare when the volume of initial investments is estimated at more than a million rubles. This is due to the fact that schools usually open on the basis of an existing beauty salon. However, even in this case, you will need funds for the additional purchase of tools and consumables, advertising, development of an educational program, legal assistance in case of obtaining a license, and so on. With this option, you can meet 200-300 thousand rubles.
Revenue . Although the cost of courses varies depending on the programs, duration and number of hours, it is convenient to calculate the calculation in terms of months. For the regions, the normal price will be 12-15 thousand rubles per month for the course. Accordingly, when conducting 4 courses, for example, “Women’s Hairdresser”, “Women’s Hairdresser”, “Universal Hairdresser” and “Upgrade Courses for Women’s Hairdresser”, with the number of 6 students in each group, you can earn about 288-360 thousand per month .rubles
Net profit and payback. Assuming that you cannot cope with such a volume of work alone and you need a partner or a hired specialist, the total amount for the above figures will decrease slightly. Taking into account the costs of advertising, organizational issues and the additional purchase of consumables and tools, pre-tax profit is seen in the region of 120-150 thousand. Net profit under the simplified taxation system (STS 6%) with such amounts will be about 20 thousand less, about 100-130 thousand. rubles. Accordingly, with a successful set of circumstances, it will be possible to recoup the investment from the second month.
Increasing profit. There are many ways to increase the financial return of a school. Namely:
- Additional sales of courses . After completing the course, you are interested in keeping in touch with the students. Perhaps one of them will want to take additional training from you, for example, to master more complex coloring techniques, make-up courses, barbering and other things.
- Holding short-term events. Periodically, you can dilute the main program with 1-2 day events, master classes and seminars on narrow topics and at a higher cost.
- Partnership with manufacturers and suppliers of equipment and consumables. Such a partnership can be mutually beneficial: you buy wholesale and cheaper goods from such a company, offering students to buy through you at a discount, and the partner company represented by your students receives new customers and users of their products. Often, hairdressing schools are even visited by technologists representing companies who give lectures and practical classes on the use of their accessories or consumables, such as hair dyes.